When life gives you lemons, make lemon bars (as my brother likes to say).
So now that I have more pressing matters on my hands – putting away groceries, cleaning the kitchen, making dinner – I am going to try to keep this post short, which I am sure you are all so sorry about…not.
Last year I discovered the fact that I am a true blue foodie. I arrived at this conclusion as not much else in life gets me excited to such childlike levels. When I cut out a lot of my baking (which also meant blogging) trying to cut back on carbs, it was like having a favorite toy taken away. Also, don’t you think when trying two sweet shops one day and getting excited to afore mentioned levels would equal true foodie?
Well coming up with a recipe twist that I personally have yet to find elsewhere (which doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there) also gets me excited to such levels.
I’m jumping up and down with so much anticipation right now that if you listened close enough, you would hear inner girlish squeals.
The cause of said excitement is because of this lemon tart.
Let’s do a little food math, shall we? Answer the question below and winners will receive a slice of tart… just kidding:
honey+lavender+shortbread+lemon = ??
I’m a softie, I’ll give you the answer: palatable awesomeness! Oh wait, this is a two part answer, it also equals Lemon Bar Tart with a Honey & Lavender Shortbread Crust.
A mouthful, I know – my apologies.
Now, are you jumping up and down, too?
I’m not going to say any more as I want you to make this yourself and then you too can experience childlike levels of excitement.
Cottura Felice and a very happy Mother’s Day to all mothers out there; especially mine!
The lowdown: This Lemon Bar Tart begins with a shortbread crust infused with a hint of lavender and made sweet with a touch of honey. The crust is then filled using my favorite lemon bar recipe that my sister makes – not often enough – and originally came from Eats Well With Others. All of these flavors combine to make a beautiful harmony of lavender honey lemon deliciousness.
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt a little more, if you like it salty
- 1/2-1 tbsp. fresh lavender finely chopped
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature, and sliced into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/3 C. powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 C. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 C. flour
- Preheat oven to 350° f. and spray a 9" tart pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk/toss in lavender. Set aside.
- In a food processor (I used a Ninja blender), place butter, honey, and powdered sugar. Pulse until mixture is smooth.
- Add flour mixture and pulse until the mixture resembles medium-size pebbles.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan. See note below for next step! Press dough evenly onto bottom and up sides of pan.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool (about 15 minutes).
- While crust is cooling, make lemon filling.
- Pour over crust (you may have a tiny bit leftover) and bake for 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Let cool completely before serving. (the longer the tart sits, the better it tastes!)
- Drizzle the top with additional honey,if desired.